Taking the next step and beginning your journey through yoga teacher training for Kundalini Yoga will bring you closer to the yoga of self mastery. This style of yoga will create a dramatic and immediate change to your life. You will begin to learn the tools of self discovery and also learn how to teach those skills to others. The program is deeply experiential and allows you to benefit from the effect you will have from Kundalini yoga. You will be part of Kundalini Yoga Kriyas and group meditations during each session. When you begin this journey make sure you are ready to dance, laugh, sing, sweat, and discover your joy.
What to know before picking out a school
When you are ready to make the leap and begin your Kundalini yoga teacher training remember that it is a challenging endeavor. You are going to be making an investment in yourself to be able to learn yoga from another yoga teacher. What you learn from the program and the people responsible for teaching it will establish your yoga teaching foundation so picking the right school should be exact.
Basic Factors to Consider
- Take the time to make sure that the program is compliant with training standards for future teaching. These standards will guarantee quality for the student-teacher and for future students of yours in areas of physical practice, practicum, philosophy, methodology, and physiology. Compare the requirements for 200 and 500 hour programs.
- Always ask about the primary instructors and their experience. They should be able to share their level of experience, the code of ethics and how much each one dedicates to teaching their students.
- Prepare by making sure that you have all the necessary prerequisites that you need for your training
- Verify that the program and school you have chosen meets all local, state and federal regulations
- Make sure that you are provided a detailed outline of exactly what courses will be taught, how the information is presented to you, and that you will meet certification standards when you have completed the program.
- Always get a signed contract that details exactly the payment structure, training and curriculum.
Once you have made the decision to follow your heart and do your yoga certification there are so many exciting things in store for you. This decision will deepen your personal practice, build your skills and knowledge and you will be able to enjoy that with your community or on your own.
Topics during yoga teacher training
Some of the topics that are included in training may be:
Kriya and Meditation: The Foundation of Kundalini Yoga- This will discuss the practice and theory of Kundalini Yoga kriyas, asanas, and mudras. You will be able to explore the nature of your mind through meditations, mantras and breathing techniques.
Humanology and Philosophy: The Lifestyle of a Kundalini Yoga Teacher- You need to be able to become more than just a teacher of this style but also follow the philosophy behind this yoga practice. You will learn the history and traditions of Kundalini Yoga. The ideals as they apply to healing and humanology, diet, nutrition and relationships.
Anatomy and Physiology: Essentials of Yogic and Functional Anatomy- You will be taught the traditional western anatomy and the function and purpose of the respiratory, nervous, musculoskeletal, immune, circulatory, digest and endocrine systems and their teaching relationship to yoga. You will also be guided through studies on Yogic anatomy and the energy systems in the body including nadis, chakras, pranas, vayus, and the ten yogic bodies.
Consciousness of a Teacher: Virtues and Values of Living in the Golden Chain- This helps build the tools and skills you need to become a good teacher, including strategies for teaching beginners, ethics, curriculum development, and the changing role of the teacher in creating a successful yoga practice.
Where to find programs?
If you are ready to take the plunge and go for yoga teacher training there are many options available to you. There are programs for Kundalini yoga teacher training all around the world. Some of the schools that specialize in the style created by Yogi Bhajan are in Chicago, New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Los Angeles, New York, or Canada. Find the right program based on style, country, and teaching level. You have no excuse once you make the decision to do it.