200 hr Yoga Alliance Certified Teacher Training
Oct 5 – Nov 2, 2013 with Paula and Peter or
Jan 11 – Feb 8, 2013 with Paula
Brief description or our 28 Day Intensive YTT
You will leave this training certified to teach yoga through Yoga Alliance. During the training we will explore the body from a holistic perspective, applying the breath, and yoga therapeutic techniques. We will learn the asanas in their classic form as well as from a developmental perspective; mature a deep understanding of why the body moves as it does. We will experience and articulate that movement or asana can start from the inner or outer body. We will learn that movement initiated from the inner body can be an expression or lack of expression of the organs, bringing awareness and thus health to the deeper systems of the body.
Teacher Paula Tursi
Paula Tursi is the Founder and Director of Reflections Yoga and the internationally renowned Reflections Yoga Teacher Training Program. She has been working with alternative healing practices in New York City and internationally for over twenty years. Paula developed Reflections Yoga as a way to integrate what she found most inspiring in other practices with her own personal truth. She began her training at Integral Yoga, where she studied Hatha and restorative Yoga. She went on to work with esteemed teachers such as John Friend, Rodney Yee and Angela Farmer. She has also worked extensively with Leslie Kaminoff and Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen in the art of yoga, breath work, anatomy, and movement awareness practices. She is certified at the 500-hour level with the Yoga Alliance and is an affiliated Anusara teacher. Most of her current studies are in Body Mind Center with Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen.
Paula’s work focuses on the alignment of mind and body, understanding that we move not only from our muscles and joints, but also from the support of our inner body. Movement or asana can start from the inner or outer body, however, movement initiated from the inner body can be an expression of the organs bringing awareness and health to the deeper systems of the body. Her teaching and insights are born of the ongoing study of anatomy and kinesiology with master teachers such as Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, Irene Dowd, Tom Myers, and Gil Hedley for anatomical dissection.
Teacher Peter Kaaberbol
Peter Kaaberbøl is the founder of LagoCph Studio, Denmark and has been practicing Yoga and Massage for the past 17 years. He teaches internationally as well as in Nepal with his master, Rahul Bharti – founder of The Healing Hands. Peter has studied a great variety of Yoga and Massage (he is 500 hour certified teacher with the Yoga Alliance), Coaching and physical treatment techniques, (including anatomy, and pathology) and has a special interest in the art of Thai Yoga, which he have developed so it works specifically with yoga corrections and adjustments. Furthermore Peter has developed the X-Pand Me Stretching System ©. He is currently teaching for a great variety of schools and body workers internationally (Copenhagen, NYC/LA, Nepal, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Italy, England etc.).
This training will prepare and certify participants to:
- Teach a Vinyasa yoga class with precise adjustments and intelligent sequencing.
- Understand common skeletal problems and develop an understanding of how to work preventively and therapeutically.
- Give a 90-minute Thai Yoga Massage and be able to use these techniques while teaching. NOTE ONLY FOR NOV TRAINING
- Apply Anatomy & Physiology to yoga and movement.
- Understand the breath and Instruct appropriate breathing techniques.
- Sit in daily meditation and be able to instruct on the art of meditation from direct experience.
- Students will read and discuss Yoga Sutras.
Written and practice assignments, as well as a final written evaluation and teaching demo, round out the program.
Daily schedule will run from 6:30am- 8:30pm
We will hold sessions for 5 days and have the 6th day off; this is subject to change depending on the needs of the group.
It is recommended to use your time off to study and practice teach as well as spend time in quite and even silence. This is necessary in order to assimilate and digest the work we will be doing together, there is a lot to cover in just 4 weeks and it will require a steadfast commitment on your part in order to complete the course. There will be time for study and practice teaching in order to prepare you for the final. You will be required to keep a journal throughout the program and will need to complete reading assignments on time and there should be no more than one day of absence during the course.
Keep in mind, this is a journey of self-discovery, a time to release attachments to what is familiar and constricting. In order not to disrupt each other’s process, we will, as a group, abstain from the following during the course: sexual activity, drinking alcohol, smoking or drug use. This is not a time to vacation and party; it is a time for purification and clarity. On the evenings/days you have off, you are welcome to do what you wish as long as it does not disrupt the energy of the group. After the final testing is over, we will have a celebration party and prepare for integration into the real world.
A follow up project as well as 10 karma hours will be required for completion after the training.
A Sample Day
- Meditation 6:30 am – 7:30 am
- Asana Practice 8:00 am – 9:00 am
- Breakfast Break 9:00 am – 10:30 am
- Massage/Anatomy 10:30 am – 12:30 pm
- Lunch Break 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- Therapeutics, Adjustments, Sequencing 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm
- Dinner 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- Yoga Philosophy 7:30 pm – 8:30 pm
- (This schedule is subject to change)
Required Book List
- Yoga Mat Companion 1-3 – Ray Long
- The Anatomy Coloring Book, 2nd Edition – Wynn Kapit
- The Yoga Sutra of Pantanjali – Sri Swami Satchidananda
- Light on Yoga – BKS Iyengar
- The Power of Now – Eckhart Tolle
- The Places That Scare You – Pema Chordron
Suggested Book List
- Anatomy for Hip Openers and Forward Bends
- Anatomy for Backbends & Twists
- Yoga The science of the soul – Osho
- The Living Gita – Sri Swami Satchidananda
- Anatomy Trains -Tom Myers
- Sensing, Feeling and Action – Bonnie Bainbridge-Cohen