Dates: Jun 27 to July 18, 2020
Yoga Teacher Training Program Curriculum With Lola
This training will prepare and certify you to:
- Teach inspiring, breath-centered vinyasa yoga group classes to a wide variety of clientele, from beginners to advanced, in many different environments (studio, corporate, gym)
- Create private yoga sessions with awareness around specific needs, injuries, conditions, and environments
- Have a basic understanding of and ability to teach a Yin yoga class
- Have a working knowledge of the most common issues presented in students today (low back, neck, feet/knee/hip, pregnancy, stress, etc.) and how to work with and address these conditions in a compassionate and therapeutic manner
- Offer informed, compassionate, and instructive hands-on assists and adjustments
- Have a solid understanding of anatomy and physiology in yoga and daily life
- Study the breath and the mind and the relationship between the two to deepen your personal meditation and pranayama practices, and from this knowing, teach
- Utilize yoga philosophy to build compelling, inspiring yoga classes and use it as a tool for personal growth
- Hold space for your continued personal expansion and the personal transformation of others
Prepare for this experience by resting, taking care of yourself, practicing regularly, slowing down a bit if possible and addressing all obligations and outside commitments before you arrive. There is a lot of material to cover in 3 weeks. Get started on reading assignments and start building a journaling practice. You will be asked to keep a journal during the course. You can start with as little as 5 minutes a day. Just get in the habit of free writing and letting whatever is inside you come out on the page.
Reading and practice assignments, as well as a teaching demo and final in-person evaluation (on the final day or days or remotely) will round out the program. Karma (service) hours will be required after the program. There will be occasional assignments and you can miss no more than 4 individual sessions during the training.
By the end of this program, you will be a new person. Expect to leave relaxed, physically stronger, emotionally and mentally balanced, and re-invigorated, with a clear vision on how to live your best life and shine your light into the world.
What happens during a three-week yoga teacher training?
Yoga teacher training might better be called “human development training”!
Whether you want to deepen your yoga practice, become a yoga teacher, or simply understand yourself and human nature more completely, this three-week commitment to yourself will result in a brand new person.
This program will teach you to lead inspiring, rich, and safe vinyasa yoga classes, but this program is so much more than that. This program is nothing less than a complete exploration and revisioning of yourself as a human being.
From the consistent, intense schedule to practice teaching to group dynamics to the personal inquiry woven into the program, there will be multiple opportunities to see yourself, your behaviors, your thoughts, your beliefs, and your habits. As these aspects of your personality become evident to you through the mirror of the teacher training experience, you can choose what aspects of yourself you want to bring forth into the future, which you want to leave behind, and what kind of person you are becoming. We are literally creating ourselves in the moment.
You will learn many technical things, like yoga anatomy and how to sequence classes. You will explore yoga philosophy, meditation, and breathwork (pranayama). You will immerse yourself in a yogic lifestyle, rising at dawn, eating simple clean foods, living in harmony with nature, and disconnecting from speedy, technologically-driven modern society. But perhaps most of all, you are signing up to meet your true self, and by undertaking this journey, you are agreeing to being held to your highest potential and supported in letting go of behaviors, beliefs, and attitudes which no longer serve you.
The process of learning how to teach yoga also encompasses diving deep into your own practice, your hopes and fears, and your ways of communicating, thinking, and being. The program will dig up aspects of yourself that you are aware (or unaware) hold you back from being the person you most long to be. The program is designed to be a safe container in which to explore the spectrum of being human. I encourage you not to fear the things that arise that appear to have nothing to do with yoga! Everything is connected, and whatever arises during the program is coming up for you to address and release or integrate it.
During this program (and really, in all of life!), it is important to use your time and energy wisely. During breaks and days off, you will be encouraged to study, practice teach, or spend time in silence to help you digest the work we do as a group.
During our 3 weeks together, we will fulfill the following requirements:
- 100 hours Techniques, Training and Practice: Daily teacher-lead and group teaching practice. The pose categories and key poses of yoga. Modifications and how to use props. Learn how to design group and private classes. Learn how to design classes from a variety of different perspectives. Learn how to teach beginners, intermediate, and advanced students.
- 30 hours Teaching Methodology: Sequencing, theming, using voice projection. Vinyasa flow, hatha, and blended styles of instruction. Yin yoga.
- 15 hours Anatomy & Physiology: Understanding the muscles, bones, and systems of the body. Functional anatomy (how things move in relation to other things) and alignment. The nervous system and neuropsychology. Working with injuries and conditions.
- 40 hours Yoga Philosophy/Ethics/Lifestyle: The Yoga Sutras and related texts, the chakras, koshas, and gunas. Pranayama and meditation. The business of yoga.
- 15 hours Practicum
This is a journey of self-discovery and a time to release attachments to what is familiar and constricting. In order not to disrupt each other’s process, we will, as a group, abstain from the following during the course: sexual activity, drinking alcohol, smoking or drug use. This is not a time to vacation and party; it is a time for purification and clarity. On the evenings/days you have off, you are welcome to do what you wish as long as it does not disrupt the energy of the group. After the final testing is over, we will have a celebration party and prepare for integration into the real world. A follow-up group connection call will be scheduled for a month or so after the training concludes. Mentorship programs for continued support are available.
You will immerse yourself in a yogic lifestyle of consistent sleep and wake times, a healthy, clean, mostly vegetarian diet, with minimal time for technology, social media, or distractions. You will be leaving behind behaviors and habits that limit growth and detaching from people, situations, places, and things which drain your energy. You will lead a simple life dedicated to your studies and personal growth.
The program will meet daily except for 2 days off during the 3-week period. You will be expected to attend every session and be on time to every session. Attendance is required to successfully complete the course and will be taken at each session. You will be expected to manage your time and boundaries well. This is a unique time in your life. Treat it as such and you will be immensely rewarded.
Example of a typical day:
- 6:30am: meditation
- 7am-8:30am: morning practice
- 8:30am-9am: discussion/writing process/journaling/coaching
- 9am-10am: breakfast
- 10am-1pm: asana, anatomy, alignment, assists and adjustments, practice teaching
- 1pm-2pm: lunch
- 2:30pm-4:30pm: yoga philosophy/pranayama/meditation/sequencing & themeing/coaching/personal growth
- 4:30pm: snack
- 5pm-6pm: Yin or gentle Hatha practice or trainee teaching practice
- 7pm: dinner
One year of yoga experience
- Minimum 40 hours of yoga classes with a certified yoga teacher
- A desire for personal growth and transformation
- A commitment to learning and being coachable
- An application
If you are interested in this training, please fill out THIS FORM. An application will be sent to you, and I will review it and get back in touch with you within 5 working days. Upon acceptance, you will secure your deposit and become enrolled in the program.
I look so forward to meeting you and taking this journey together. It will be deep, intense, and life-changing. I will support you and bring my best every step of the way.
You will need the following books for the program. Prepare by familiarizing yourself with them in advance of the program start. Bring them to the training with you.
- The Key Poses of Yoga by Ray Long, MD (Scientific Keys Volume 2)
- Teaching Yoga by Mark Stephens
- Sequencing Yoga by Mark Stephens
- The Heart of Yoga by T. K. V. Desikachar
- Beloved World Yoga teaching manual, by Lola Rephann, Bridget Fujioka.
- A notebook (for class notes) and personal journal
The following books are strongly suggested.
- The Gift by Hafiz, renderings by Daniel Ladinski
- Light on Yoga by B.K.S Iyengar
- Kundalini Tantra by Swami Satyananda Saraswati
- Autobiography of a Yogi by Paramahansa Yogananda
“Lola is a phenomenal teacher who truly knows how to meet you where you are regardless of your experience. She creates space for both the novice and experienced student to make the class as challenging as they like. After studying with Lola, I feel much more comfortable assessing what I want out of a yoga class and a yoga instructor. She has set my bar quite high and for that I thank her deeply. It’s helped me understand what it means to truly say you are a yoga teacher. THANK YOU LOLA ;)”
“If you seek a yoga teacher who can properly teach you the asanas with gentleness, attention to detail, patience and constant encouragement, then you will love Lola Rephann. Lola is a gifted teacher. She has introduced me to my body in a way I never knew possible. I wanted a spiritual teacher who could introduce me to the essence, the fullness, of yoga, not the fancy world that yoga has become in some circles. I found her. Lola has helped me to enter the spiritual life through my physical body.”
“Lola is obviously very seasoned, well educated in yoga, and understands that each of her students is on their own journey.”
Lola is a yoga teacher, life coach, personal growth guide, and healer. Her passion and mission is to help each individual heal and grow, which leads to an overall healing and elevation of consciousness on Planet Earth.
Lola’s teaching is a call to meet your edge and sharpen your attention. She asks students to challenge themselves by weaving physical, emotional, and spiritual inquiry into each of her classes and workshops. Lola teaches in a way that encourages students to take the reins of their lives and step into power, intelligence, and grace.
Lola studies Vinyasa Yoga, Yin Yoga, hatha and Forest yoga, Buti Yoga, core integration, and functional movement. Lola is a practicing bodyworker using the modalities of Thai Yoga Massage, Myo-Fascial Meridian Release and Reiki. She has been studying Thai Massage for over 8 years and is a Reiki Master. Some of her interests that often inform her classes include astrology, ceremony, ritual, moon cycles, and animal totems. Lola is also a certified life coach specializing in transformational coaching to remove obstacles, create an inspired vision, and help each person walk their Dharma.
Lola has a deep and abiding interest in breath, mindfulness, and somatics. Lola studies primarily with Ana Forrest, founder of Forrest Yoga, Erica Mather, a Forrest Yoga guardian in New York City and Bizzie Gold, creator of several intuitive movement systems. Lola was raised in the traditional lineage of Sivananda Yoga before moving into vinyasa and more contemporary yoga studies. Lola is a lifelong student and is always learning new techniques, methods, and applications for healing, wellness and vitality.
Lola is an experienced yoga teacher with over 4,500 hours of teaching experience privately, in group classes, and in corporate settings throughout the world. She has coached dozens of people through creative, inspiring transformations.